Monday, July 8, 2013

Colored Sugar Cookies

Happy Monday!  I can't believe 4th of July is past and the summer continues to fly by.  I had a great 4th of July celebrating with my husband and inviting our friends over for our 3rd annual cookout and badminton tournament.  It was a great day.  I was in charge of desserts for the day, and I made a cake (recipe coming soon) and these simple colored sugar cookies.  I know that the 4th of July is already past, but the awesome thing about this recipe is that they are perfect for any holiday - just change the sugar color and you have a perfect festive treat.  So I wanted to share them with you now.  Enjoy!

Colored Sugar Cookies
Adapted from My Sweet Mission

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) of room temperature butter 
  • 1 teaspoon salt 
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder 
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda 
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar 
  • 3 1/4 cup flou
  • 3 Tablespoons (1 each) of desired colors of sugar (you can either use the store bought kind, or dye your own sugar using food coloring!)
Directions:
Cream the softened butter, sugar, and salt. Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix well. Batter should be pale yellow and fluffy. Add in one cup of flour, the baking powder, and baking soda. Mix briefly, then add the rest of the flour. Use a cookie scoop to dish out the dough. In small bowls, place 1 tablespoon of desired colored sugar. Roll dough in colored sugar and place on baking pan 2 inches apart (these cookies do spread!). I found it helpful to use the back of a spoon to slightly press down on the cookie.
Bake at 360 degrees for 10-12 minutes.  Let cool for at least 5 minutes on pan before transfering to wire rack to finish cooling.  These cookies can also be made ahead of store and put in the freezer in an airtight container.  
Enjoy!


Linking up:

Monday
Tuesday
Anti-Procrastination Tuesday, Homemade Tuesday, Nifty Thrifty Tuesday, Take a Look Tuesday, Too Cute Tuesday, One Project at a Time, Tasteful Tuesday, Tell me Tuesday, Trick or Treat Tuesday,Tuesday Talent Show, Two Cup Tuesday, Memories by the Mile, Totally Tasteful Tuesdays, Tuesday Confessional, Time for You Tuesday, Gathering Spot, Take it On Tuesday, You're Gonna Love it Tuesday, All my Bloggy Friends, Tuesday to Do, Pin it Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday
Wednesday
Create and Share, Sugar and Spice, What I Whipped Up, Whatever Goes Wednesday, Show me what ya Got, Lil Luna, Wow me Wesdnesday, {Wow Me} Wednesday, Cast Party, Recipe Roundup, Your Whims Wednesday, What's Cooking Wednesday, Fluster's Creative Muster, Wednesday Whatsit, Show and Share, Dream to Reality, Wow Us Wednesday, What We Wore, Read, and Made, Whatcha Work-Up, A Little Bird Told Me,
Thursday
Friday
Weekend re-Treat, Foodie Friday, Show and Tell Friday, Friday Favorites, Simply Create, Lovely Crafty Weekend, EBKTS, Weekend Wander, Weekend Show Off, Weekend Bloggy Reading, Flaunt it Friday, 504 Main, Friday Favs, Fancy This Friday, Flash Blog Friday, Finished Friday, Freedom Friday, Show off Friday, Happy Hour, I <3 Friday, Keep Calm and Link Up, Weekend Wonders,
Weekend
Weekend Wrap Up, Say G'day, Strut Your Stuff, Check me Out , Show and Tell, Saturday Spotlight, Great Ideas, Your Great Idea, Simply Sweet Saturday, Share it Saturday, Saturday Show and Tell, Sunday Scoop, Sunday Showcase, Think Pink, Nifty Thrifty Sunday, Not Baaad Sunday, Scrumptious Sunday Recipe Link Party, That DIY Party,Overflowing with Creativity Party, A Bouquet of Talent, Will Cook for Smiles

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up to this month's #ShareTheLoveBlogHop

    Natasha @ Serenity You

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! Can't beat a good sugar cookie recipe, thanks for sharing!

    Stop by and enter my current giveway: http://makingitfeellikehome.blogspot.com/2013/07/firmoo-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these fun colored sugar cookies! Great for kids! :) I followed you here from the Keeping it Simple link party, by the way. Also, I’d like to invite you to come link up with me at my link party! I’d love it if you could stop by & link up some of your recipes! This is the link!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Danielle. I clicked on your link from the Wow Us Wednesdays blog hop because of the title of your cookies. As I read the recipe, I quickly recognized it. I'm glad you like the recipe, my family and friends love them too. Thank you for giving credit by mentioning My Sweet Mission.

    Have a Sweet Day!
    Heather
    My-Sweet-Mission.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather - thanks for stopping by! I always try my best to give credit for my recipes - which can be tricky with the internet. Thank YOU for sharing your recipes as well!

      Delete
  5. I love sugar cookies. Great idea. Thanks for sharing at The Gathering Spot this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Sugar Cookies look so good, they would be great with my afternoon tea. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great summer weekend and come back to see me real soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun! My kids would love these pretty cookies. Thanks for sharing at Inspire Us Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Huh, I would never have thought to rolled the cookies in the colored sugar first. Sugar cookies are sweet enough without all that frosty to make the sugar stick! Great idea.

    *Say G'Day Saturday Linky Party

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how very fun! :) Sugar Cookies are my favorite!! Thank you so much for linking up with me this week at Tasty Tuesdays! I’ve pinned this & shared it with my followers! Please be sure to stop back by the party and check out some of the other links!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM, I love sugar cookies and these are so fun for July. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fun! And sugar cookies are my favorite! Thanks for sharing at All Things Pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...