Monday, August 18, 2014

Smore Bars

Ahhh Summertime, how quickly it goes!  A few blinks and my short time off from work goes by in an instant.  We have had a ton of fun this summer, but it's back to work I go.  As you read this, I will be sitting in my in-service meetings.  While I enjoy the fresh start and the excitement of a new school year, I'm not sure I'm ready to transition back to the grind of working everyday.  I sure do love my summers!


This sweet treat today is a great one to bring back memories of summer - camping, hiking, bonfires, and of course, s'mores!  I was lucky enough to be able to go camping three times with my husband this summer (and with both sets of our parents as well, one time each, and one time with my friends).  Of course, every time we go camping, we make s'mores!
I have a coworker who has a major sweet tooth, and I love making treats to bring with me when I have to travel to the office every month.  For a long time, he has been requesting a Hershey cookie with graham crackers.  I hadn't heard of such a thing, but of course, was able to find something on Pinterest!  I made these s'more bars to celebrate the end of summer (or if you happen to read this in the middle of winter, it can be a sweet reminder of summer!).  

S'more Bars
Recipe Adapted from: I Heart Naptime

Ingredients:
  • Crust:
    • 1/2 cup melted butter
    • 1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
  • Dough
    • 2 cups brown sugar
    • 2/3 cup butter
    • 2 eggs
    • 2 1/2 cup flour
    • 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
    • 1/2 tsp salt
    • 1 tsp vanilla
    • 1 cup chocolate chips
    • 1 cup mini marshmallows
  • Topping
    • 1 Hershey bar - break each little bar into pieces
    • 1 Graham cracker - break into pieces
    • 1/2 cup mini marshmallows


Directions:
Heat the oven to 325 degrees. 
Make the crust by combining the melted butter and graham cracker crumbs in a small bowl using a fork.  You will need about 8 crackers (full sheets) to create the crust.  Once the crust has been made, line a 9x13 pan with foil and press the crust into the pan.  
Next cream the butter and sugar together, then add in eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.  Add in the baking powder and salt, then mix in the flour.  Finally, fold in the chocolate chips.
Once the dough is made, flour your hands and press the dough on top of the crust and flatten it out.
Then add the topping of graham cracker pieces, broken chocolate, and left over mini marshmallows. 
Bake for 30-35 minutes.  Test middle with a tooth pick.  Dough will be soft, but toothpick should come out clean. 
Allow bars to cool completely before cutting.  Then enjoy with ice cream or a tall glass of milk!



<--- click the magic button for nutrition info and a printer friendly version!


Linking up at some of these great parties!

11 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I love s'more recipes, can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love s'mores. Thank you for joining us at Wake Up Wednesday Linky! I'm pinning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so yummy.... How perfect for a summer get-together!! :)
    xox, Crystelle
    CrystelleBoutique

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still can't believe how quickly this summer has gone by! But this recipe I a great way to really savor the small part that is still left. Thank you for linking at the In and Out of the Kitchen Link Party. Hope to see you again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Smore Bars look delicious! Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great weekend!
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love S'mores too, and your bars look fabulous! I am sad to see summer drawing to a close, but I do love fall and all those great recipes too! I would love if you would share these bars and anything else you would like, at my new blog party, Celebrate It!
    It's all about sharing how we celebrate our everyday lives!
    http://thefreshmancook.blogspot.com/2014/08/celebrate-it-blog-party-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. This does look like a fabulous remembrance of summer treat! Thanks for sharing the recipe with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks amazing!! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMGosh my kids would love this! Thanks so much for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your recipe looks heavenly. More Smores please!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...