Monday, June 16, 2014

Cornbread

I love expanding my cooking repertoire and lately I've been looking at making some favorites from scratch, rather than from a box or a mix.  Enter cornbread.  Corn muffins were definitely a favorite in my family growing up.  My dad and brother and I would often scramble to grab as many muffins as we could when they were hot out of the oven. 

We always used a box to make our cornbread muffins and I'd never made any from scratch.  Recently, I decided I wanted to change that, when I had a craving for cornbread.  This recipe turned out really nice (though would probably work better when we have company - an 8x8 pan was definitely too much for my husband and I to share! However, the leftovers were also delicious when warmed up in the microwave for 15 seconds).

Homemade Cornbread
Adapted form Caramel Potatoes
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 baking soda
  • 1 cup buttermilk (can substitute 1 TBSP lemon juice or vinegar and enough regular milk to make one cup)
  • 3 eggs

Directions:
Let your butter cool for a moment so that it won't scramble your eggs!  When it has cooled, whisk the melted butter, buttermilk, and eggs together.  Add in dry ingredients and stir well, but do not over mix.  Mixture will be a little lumpy.
Heat the oven to 400 degree.  Pour the mixture into a well greased 8x8 baking pan (9x9 may also be used for a thinner bread)
Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before cutting and serving.
Enjoy!

<--- click the magic button for nutrition info and a printer friendly version!


Linking up at some of these great parties!


7 comments:

  1. I love left over cornbread and sweet tea. Is that weird? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man...all I need is the buttermilk..pooh. I wanna make it ;) Pinning it so I can make it when I get some.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make your own buttermilk and save a trip to the store! substitute 1 TBSP lemon juice or vinegar and enough regular milk to make one cup

      Delete
  3. I love homemade cornbread! It beats the mixes hands down. Although they are handy to have on hand when you are in a hurry. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is nothing like a great pan of cornbread, this looks awesome! Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...