Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Wedding Dress Shower Invitation set

As I mentioned earlier this week, my brother is getting married at the end of this week - such excitement!  Of course, we had to celebrate welcoming my brother's fiance into our family.  I'm so excited to be gaining a sister.  It's always been just my brother and I, it's nice to see our family growing a bit as we get married.  To celebrate the upcoming wedding, I offered to host a shower for my side of the family.  I had lots of fun putting my Silhouette to use (and some of my new found Royal Icing skills!)

Invitations
First off, I made the shower invitations.  I looked at hundreds (ok maybe not hundreds, but it seemed like it) of ideas on Pinterest.  And then I ran out of time, lol, and needed something relatively simple.  This idea fit the bill for the most part.  I used a dress card from the Silhouette store, but cut it in half.  
First I wrote out my text in Microsoft word so I could use the spell check.  Then I transferred my text and placed a text box inside the dress shape in Silhouette Studio. Next i used the print and cut feature (my first time!), to cut out two dresses per sheet of paper.  I cut the top half of the dress out of a pretty silver paper and glued that on top of the dress with the text.  Then I used a hot glue gun to glue the tulle over the top, an finally added a blue bow (to hide my glue marks!).  
Other than the fact that neither my mom or I caught the fact that I wrote down 2013 instead of 2014, I was really really happy with how these turned out :)


Gift - Dishcloths and Thank Yous
So once the invitations were out, I needed to come up with a gift for the lucky bride to be.  I wanted to come up with something small, but useful for my future sister in law.  Keeping with her wedding theme of blue and sliver, I made her some blue dishcloths (because I make a pair for every bridal shower I'm invited to), and then I decided to make some thank you notes to match the invitations.  When my aunt threw a shower for me when I was engaged, she gave me a set of thank you notes that matched the invitations that had been sent out.  I found it to be a very thoughtful gift and it made it very easy to quickly write my thanks yous after the shower.  Since this was my first time hosting a shower on my own, I wanted to do the same thing for my future sister-in-law.
I used the same dress card pattern as I did for the invitations, but added blue ribbons and a thanks stamp from Paper Smooches. 

Dessert
I made a simple meal for lunch during the shower, but I wanted to go a little bit fancier for dessert.  After checking with the bride to be, I learned that she preferred cookies over cake (which was just fine with me).  This gave me another chance to practice my royal icing skills.  I found a dress cookie cutter at Williams Sonama and decided to make hearts for something a little smaller (and simpler!).  The cookies were definitely a big hit with my guests!  I put their initials on the hearts and created white dresses with blue sashes and bows.  

  

Now to prep desserts for the grooms dinner and pack for a weekend full of fun!
Have a great day!


Linking up at some of these great parties!

12 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed looking at your "dress" themed items. I did go to get the template, but everytime I push "Here" I get sent to Kelly Blue Book and several other sites. Is there something wrong with the link possibly?
    Thanks for sharing,
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vicki. Here's the link for the template if you are still have problems http://www.silhouetteonlinestore.com/?page=view-shape&id=12281

      Delete
  2. So so cute! Love the blue and white and silver theme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to your brother! I love what you did with the dress shape. The invitations and thank yous are too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet of you to welcome your brother's wife iwith all the love. She is lucky to be a part of your family.

    -Tanya
    http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. so darn cute! Thank you for sharing your sweet blog at the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. More fabulous cookies and the invitation is darling! Laughing that it's a year late. lol! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the cookies!!!
    I would be honored to have you hop over and share with us at Inspire Us Tuesday! (http://twolittlecavaliers.com/2014/08/finding-inspiration-around-us.html)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty. I love how unique these invitations are. Thank you for linking at the In and Out of the Kitchen Link Party. Hope to see you again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank You for stopping by Inspire Us Tuesdays and leaving some inspiration behind. We would love for you to visit each week and leave some inspiration, find some inspiration, and borrow some of these ideas for yourself for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wedding is an important part of men's and women's life.It comes to one's life with full of blessings and love.The blog was great. It reminded me these few lines.WE all are fond of getting wedding party invitations from our surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank for sharing.
    well this interesting.

    gclub online
    goldenslot

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...