Monday, January 27, 2014

M&M Cookie Bars

I know I know, we are still in January and most people are still working super hard on their New Year's resolutions to eat healthy.  I fully support that.  But I can't resist making some delicious desserts.  My husband certainly doesn't complain!  I don't know where he puts all the cookies and sweet treats he eats, but he's as skinny as ever.  He's always happy to be my taste-tester anytime I ask.

A the beginning of the month, we traveled to Madison to visit some close friends.  I was crazy busy with returning to work after the holidays, but I still wanted to make something to take with us to share.  I had some leftover holiday M&Ms and found this recipe on Pinterest.

 
Enter these M&M Cookie Bars.  The thing I love about cookie bars is they are quick and easy to make!  No rolling out dough, no cleaning up multiple cookie sheets/silicone mats/cooling racks.  One bowl to mix in and one pan to bake in and your done.

M&M Cookie bars
Recipe Adapted from I <3 Naptime

Ingredients:
  • 12 Tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) butter
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 cups M&Ms divided
Directions:
In the bowl of a stand mixer (or any mixing bowl), cream the butter, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla.  Mix for at least 1 minute.  Add in the baking soda, baking powder, and slowing incorporate the flour.  Mix in  1 1/4 cups of M&Ms.


You can bake these two ways.  The original directions call for baking on a 9x13 pan lined with foil.  That is what I did the first time I made these.  I think it would be easier to use a glass pan, sprayed with cooking spray, and forgo the foil.  Your choice - use whatever sounds easiest to you!
Spread out the mixture in the pan as best you can.  It will be very sticky.  It's ok if it is not level and not in all corners of the pan as it will spread out as it bakes.
Sprinkle the remaining M&Ms over the top

Bake at 325 degrees for 25-35 minutes.  Or until a toothpick comes clean (this took nearly 40 minutes for me - make sure you check this!  I know it's easy to want to skip this step, but you want to make sure all of your bars are cooked through!)

Let cool for five minutes then slice while still slightly warm (it makes slicing a whole lot easier!)
Eat fresh or store in an airtight container.

Enjoy! 
 

<-- Click here for nutritional information and a printer friendly version!



10 comments:

  1. Those look SO good. My daughter would go nuts for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look very yummy, my kids would love them...especially my little guy with the gigantic sweet tooth. Popping by to say hi from the hop.
    Cheers,
    Char
    http://1epicmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. So simple, yet... YUM! That looks so good. My have to get soem Valentine's colored M&Ms and do that soon. Thanks for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Danielle,
    Your Cookies Bars look awesome! Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great weekend!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound easy AND yummy! Pinning!

    Thanks for linking up with Take it on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cookie bars are such a delicious and quick treat to make! Thanks for sharing the recipe with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yum these sound fantastic! Thanks for sharing on the weekend re-Treat Link Party! Hope to see you again tomorrow.

    Britni @ Play. Party. Pin.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...